NCLEX Exam: 75 questions made me a USRN

March 8, 2016, while my officemates were on a team building activity in Caliraya, Laguna, I was absent for the very first time. While they were enjoying a sponsored out-of-town trip, I was fighting alone to achieve a lifelong dream.

I didn’t really had a good sleep that night no matter how I tried. I woke up as early as 3 AM and started thinking what ifs. To calm my nerves, I prayed so hard and left our house as early as 4:30 in the morning (my exam was scheduled at 9 AM). I can’t be late. Considering the heavy traffic in EDSA as soon as the sun rises, I’d better wait near the testing venue than to forfeit the exam because of not arriving on time.

On my way to the testing center, I was still cramming on my review. I kept on reading the NCSBN review materials until the last minute. Though this is not advisable, that we need to relax before we take the exam, I can’t help to, frenny. I spent years of reading but I felt like it wasn’t enough. As I reach Buendia Avenue (one jeepney away from the testing center), I decided to have a breakfast. I continued reading while eating that chicken fillet meal plus pancake (haha!). With so much pressure in me, my stomach started to act out (uh oh!). Good thing I was in a right place--- the comfort room was clean and there were still few customers that time. (Haha!)

At 6 AM, I took a jeepney to the testing center. In no more than 10 minutes, I arrived at Trident Tower, Senator Gil Puyat Avenue, Makati City.

Trident Tower, Senator Gil Puyat Avenue, Makati City

Too early for me to get in, so I spent more time reading the review materials at Ministop (beside Trident Tower).

I entered the building 30 minutes before 9 AM. There was already a queue to get a visitor’s pass. As I sign the logbook, I noticed that there were already few who were about to take the exam. Anxiety started to attack me again. As I entered the Pearson VUE office at the 27th floor, I felt strange. The place was so quiet and cold. Somebody gave me a queue number and instructed me to wait for my turn. I sat silently in a corner, trying to control that nervousness within. Hooo! Deep breathe! The lady called my number and asked for my name, Authorization to Test (ATT) and passport. After such, she required me to surrender any electronic device that I have, remove all jewelries that I wear and remove everything in my pocket (including handkerchief) then she let me put my things in a locker. Thereafter, somebody checked all my pockets then instructed me to proceed with the fingerprint and picture taking. After that strict check, the lady said, “You can now enter the testing room”.

At the room entrance, another lady was waiting for me. She took again my fingerprints and re-checked my pockets (hoooh!) then she accompanied me to a vacant seat. She set the computer for me and reminded me not to stand when I need something. I just need to raise my hand and she will approach me. Upon handing my ear plugs, she immediately left the room.

It was a cold, semi-lit room where silence was deafening. What you can hear are only mouse clicks and keyboard hits. You cannot talk to anyone for any reason. On top of you is a CCTV camera and at your back is a proctor watching your every move. In that moment, I felt like I was in an aquarium. I was like a fish being watch on the outside haha!

My computer initially displayed a warning that I cannot share the content of the test materials to anyone after the exam followed by the types of test questions and how to answer them, and finally, how to navigate the computer. I was not so sure if I can start the exam right away. As I was afraid of violating rules, I raised my hand in few minutes after I took my seat. The lady approached me and asked why (hahaha!). I confirmed if I can now begin with the exam, she said “yes” and left the room immediately.

I started with easy questions. They were almost exactly the same with the questions that I answered on my practice tests. Little by little, questions became harder. I got a lot of safety precautions, prioritization, delegation and drug-related questions. I haven’t heard most of those drugs in my entire life (nyay!). But yoooh yeah, frenny, I’m blessed I crammed! Hahaha! The drugs that I read on the NCSBN review material while I was on my way to the testing center, they actually came out. I was teary-eyed when I realized that of all the pages of my review materials, I read what exactly came out on my NCLEX exam that moment when I was cramming. I know, it was God.

Most of the questions I got were in multiple choice format. I also got “Select All That Apply (SATA)” and “arrange in order” questions but they were just few (Thank you, Lord!). I had a lot of “uh oh” moments too. These were when I encountered questions that I was able to read on my review but on the actual exam, I can’t recall the correct answer already (haha!). Maybe because, all the choices seems to be correct and I was required to choose just one. Good thing I practiced elimination technique. It helped! And yes, I got questions that I totally do not know the answer. There were a lot, haha! That’s the time I used the power of prayers.

On the 75th question, after I clicked the submit button, the computer screen turned blue. That was the end of my NCLEX exam. I did it in almost 3 hours.

I had mixed emotions when I finished the exam. I didn’t got a lot of SATA and arrange in order questions. I never answered hot spot, computations or charts. With most of the blogs I read, they say that if you got complex questions, most probably you passed. For me, I got multiple choice the most. That made me feel so down. I thought I failed and I cried a lot.

The unofficial results came out after two business days via Quick Results view. With so much anxiety in me, I purchased it for $7.95 immediately when the result became available. My hands were shaking and my heart was beating fast when the browser was loading the result. In few seconds, tadaaah! Here’s the result:

NCSBN Quick Results View

I jumped out of joy, like no one is around me. As I was at work that time, I immediately shared the good news to my officemates. I sent a message to my mom, dad, sisters, aunts and to my boyfriend (now my husband). Tears began to flow in my eyes again (cry baby as ever). I can’t really believe it. It was a dream came true!

After a day, I checked the New York State Education Department – Office of the Professions website if my name is already in their system. Unfortunately, it wasn’t there. I began doubting again. More days passed, still, it wasn’t there. I started thinking, “did I really pass?” Haha! I kept my hopes high, and after a week, tantararan! It’s there already!

Licensee verification result at the New York State Education Department - Office of the Professions website

Few more days after my name was reflected at Office of the Professions website, my mom received a mail from New York State Board of Nursing (I used my provincial address on my application; I am currently in Metro Manila). She immediately opened the mail and was overjoyed to read that I passed my NCLEX exam.


This is my NCLEX experience. I hope that my story can somehow calm the nerves of my frennies who got multiple choice questions the most and are now waiting for the results. I have proven that the type of question does not really indicate pass or fail. There are difficult multiple choice questions too, and there are easy SATA or arrange in order questions. We can’t really base on the type of question per se.

And to all my frennies who are about to take the exam, good luck! You can do it!

Labels: